You Pay No Fee Until We Win

Here to Help 24/7. Current wait time 22 seconds.

Amusement Park Injuries Abroad

When you’re injured while traveling abroad, what happens? Will you still be able to recover compensation from the negligent parties? The companies that own international amusement parks usually are not insulated from liability just because they are from another country. You may even be able to take them to court for your injuries in our legal system. The Philadelphia amusement park injury lawyers at The Reiff Law Firm may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve when you’re injured abroad.

Can you Sue International Amusement Parks?

Many times, the companies that own international amusement parks are part of a larger, international company that also operates inside the United States. For instance, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide, Inc. owns the U.S. parks as well as the international resorts and parks. As long as a company is responsible for your injuries and is within the reach of our laws, you can usually sue those companies at home in the United States.

Proving a company is responsible for your injuries usually requires showing that they were “negligent.” This means proving, in court, that:

  1. The party owed you a duty;
  2. The party breached that duty;
  3. The breach caused your injuries;
  4. You have injuries or other harms that a court can compensate you for (called “damages”).

When a ride is improperly inspected, untested, run under unsafe conditions, or otherwise presents a danger to the rider, it is likely that the company breached its duty to keep its riders safe. The standards for inspection and safety vary in different places, especially in foreign countries. The safety standards may help you prove to a court what the amusement park company’s duty was, but just because the country you were injured in has low safety standards does not automatically mean you are out of luck. Our attorneys have decades of experience handling amusement park injuries and may be able to help you prove your case as well.

In any lawsuit, you must sue a party in a court that has jurisdiction over them. There are many legal tests to determine whether jurisdiction applies, but any time that a company or person is effectively “at home” in a jurisdiction, you can sue them there. That means that international corporations with business locations in the United States should be eligible to be sued in those states. Alternatively, the federal court system can oversee suits between U.S. citizens and foreign companies who harmed U.S. citizens.

What Compensation is Available for International Accidents?

Any time you are injured by a negligent party, you should be entitled to certain categories of compensation. Compensation for medical bills, including the cost of surgeries, hospital stays, X-Rays, and rehabilitation, should be available to you (even if you received treatment in another country). If you had to miss work because of your injuries, or you can no longer work, you might be entitled to past and future lost wages. Additionally, you could be entitled to large sums to compensate you for your pain and suffering. If you lost a loved one, like a parent, child, or spouse, you might be entitled to compensation for your loss.

In many cases, amusement parks and the companies that own them want to avoid lawsuits and bad publicity. This means that many of them will be willing to settle to keep your injuries out of the courts – and out of the news. The company may reach out to you after the accident with settlement offers. It is vital that you talk to an attorney before accepting any money for your injuries. Accepting a settlement might bar you from further legal action. Moreover, the company’s offer might be a low offer that does not account for all of your needs. If you were injured in an amusement park and the park’s insurance contacts you, it is highly recommended that you consult and experienced personal injury attorney before engaging in any kind of settlement negotiation.

Philadelphia Amusement Park Injury Attorneys

The lawyers at The Reiff Law Firm have decades practicing personal injury law in Pennsylvania and the federal court system. We have helped injured amusement park victims get compensation for their accident injuries, and may be able to help you too. Call (215) 709-6940 today for a free consultation on your case.

  • Share your experience
    we will call you back with a free case review

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.